Valentine’s Day Flower Risk
Valentine’s Day is meant to be one of the most romantic of the year, when lovers shower their partners with affection in the form of chocolates and flowers. However, while most pet owners are well aware of the dangers chocolate can pose, not everyone knows about dangerous flowers.
Some popular bouquets can be extremely poisonous to cats and dogs, causing vomiting, diarrhoea, and even kidney failure if swallowed. Valentine’s Day is meant to be one of the most romantic of the year, when lovers shower their partners with affection in the form of chocolates and flowers. However, while most pet owners are well aware of the dangers chocolate can pose, not everyone knows about dangerous flowers.
Certain types of lily such as Asiatic, Day, Easter and Tiger lilies are extremely dangerous to cats. Eating just two leaves or drinking water from a vase containing them can be potentially fatal.
Amaryllis aren’t just a popular gift, they’re also a poisonous one. The stalks, flowers and bulbs contain phenanthridine alkaloids which are toxic to cats. Eating amaryllis can cause vomiting, changes in blood pressure, tremors and seizures.
Daffodils.…These popular yellow flowers contain an alkaloid that can trigger vomiting while crystals in the bulbs are severely toxic and can cause serious conditions such as cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory problem.
Behind the rose, the tulip is the country’s most popular cut flower. But, like daffodils, the bulbs of tulips are toxic to cats. They contain allergenic lactones which, if swallowed, can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea and depression.
Although only mildly toxic, chrysanthemums contain pyrethrins, which are used in dog flea and tick medications, and are particularly poisonous to cats. If your cat has eaten chrysanthemums look out for vomiting, diarrhoea and lack of appetite and seek advice from your vet.Hyacyniths are a popular bulb plant.
The highest concentration of poison in hyacinths is in the bulbs. Eating a hyacinth bulb can lead to drooling, vomiting or diarrhoea in your cat depending on the number consumed.
Iris and Gladioli belong to the Iridaceae family and can cause irritation when eaten. Like many popular spring flowers, the most toxic part is the bulb.
Cyclamen is a popular houseplant that’s prevalent in Mediterranean countries, cyclamen contains irritating saponins. Eating the plant can lead to sickness and diarrhoea and potentially even heart failure if ingested in large enough quantities.
Kalanchoe, or widow’s thrill, is toxic to cats and may cause them to experience vomiting and diarrhoea. The toxins in kalanchoe have also been known to cause abnormal heart rhythms.
Worried your cat may have eaten ANY flowers?contact your vet immediately or… your out of hours veterinary provider.